Kent, Surrey & Sussex Labrador Retriever Club
Code of Ethics
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) Members should give serious consideration as to the suitability of new applicants for membership when asked to be either the proposer or seconder.
16) Members shall at all times maintain a high standard of health and care for dogs under their care and ensure they have sufficient exercise and companionship. When outside kennels are used they shall be free from draughts, of suitable size, have adequate runs and protect the dogs from the weather.
17) When breeding litters members shall ideally only use dogs/bitches, which are believed to be free from known hereditary defect and are not suffering from any acute disease. It is imperative for the good of the breed that all breeding stock owned should have been examined under the K.C./B.V.A. scheme for both hip dysplasia and hereditary eye defects as improvements of the quality of stock, which should conform as close as possible to The Kennel Club Breed Standard, must be the prime consideration at all times.
18) It is recommended that bitches shall not be bred from before their second season or 18 months, whichever is the sooner, and not more than once in any twelve consecutive months. The upper limits required by the Kennel Club regarding number of litters and age of the bitch will be strictly observed unless a special concession has been granted by the Kennel Club.
19) At the time of sale breeders of puppies shall provide the new owner with the necessary Kennel Club registration papers, a copy of the pedigree, a comprehensive diet sheet, details of vaccinations (if any) and worming, copies of the K.C./B.V.A. Eye and Hip Dysplasia Scheme certificates for both sire and dam and a receipt for the sale. N.B. Eye Scheme certificates are renewed every twelve months.
20) Puppies shall not normally leave the dam before eight weeks of age and reasonable steps shall be taken to ensure the suitability of the new owner and the conditions under which they will be kept.
21) Members will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the quality of the dog or its suitability for any special purpose.
22) No puppies or older dogs will be knowingly sold to any person, particularly dealers and those connected with the Pet Trade, which may result in them being re-sold on a commercial basis. Breeders should exercise extreme caution when advertising and selling their litters.
23) As Kennel Club registration documents may be endorsed to impose certain restrictions, particularly on disposal, export and breeding, it is the moral responsibility of the breeder to ensure the purchaser fully understands the implications of such. Agreements for the loan or use of a bitch for breeding purposes shall be registered at The Kennel Club. Please consult Fact Sheet 1.
24) Breeders have the responsibility to assist and advise the purchasers of their puppies in the event of any problems and assist in rehousing should the need arise.
25) The owners of Stud Dogs shall satisfy themselves as to the suitability of the bitch before mating. Copies of current K.C./B.V.A. Eye and Hip Dysplasia Scheme certificates shall be exchanged between both others and retained.
26) No member shall, at any event or gathering organised by the Club or on behalf of the Club, carry out corrective or punitive treatment or treat a dog in such a way, which, in the reasonable opinion of the Committee, could be described as harsh handling. This particularly applies to causing unnecessary pain or distress to a dog by physical abuse, using a lead to lift a dog so that its leg or legs are clear of the ground and suspending a dog by its ears. This list is not exhaustive.
27) The club recommends that members support and join the Kennel Club Accredited Breed Scheme.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
KC/GJ September 2008